Sunday, February 7, 2010

Invisible Children - A Cause and a Bag


Back in 2006 I came across a video for Invisible Children. It was moving and heartbreaking and I have been paying attention ever since. The video was a trailer for Invisible Children: Rough Cut, check it out:




Invisible Children has set out to raise awareness as well as make a difference in the lives of people living in northern Uganda. One of the ways they do that is with MEND.
From the MEND website:

"MEND is designed to seam a personal connection between products and their makers, while repairing the lives of women in distressed regions of the world.

This is not charity. MEND is a sophisticated, competitive, and internationally inspired brand catering to style and function. A subdivision of Invisible Children, MEND is constructed with the belief that what’s on the outside and what’s on the inside should both matter equally. ™

Our handbags are story-driven. Each piece carries the name of the seamstress who made it. Each individual name unlocks online profiles of each seamstress employed in our program. Through video bios and photos she will share how she is “on the MEND” because of a simple purchase."


MEND Explanation Video from MEND on Vimeo.



I was lucky enough to receive one of these beautiful bags from my husband for my birthday. As stated on the website, each bag is labeled with the name of the person who made it and from the website you can watch a video about that person. My bag was made by Aber Rose:

MEND: Aber Rose from MEND on Vimeo.



I am in love with my bag and they are a great cause to be aware of.
For more information on Invisible Children and ways you can get involved you can check out the Invisible Children website.

For a general look at who they are and what they do check out the video below.



**I did not receive any kind of compensation for this post. I came across the site on my own and decided to share it because I believe in what they are doing.

No comments: