Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Book of Lost Fragrances - M.J. Rose

 
The Book of Lost Fragrances 
By M.J. Rose 

When I opened this book, I knew it would have some romance and I hoped Rose would do justice to the fragrance part of the story but I was surprised by how much suspense played a part in the storyline. It actually concerned me a bit when I realized how central a mystery was to the story. Well, there was absolutely no need to be concerned. Rose delivers to all the senses. I was captivated by the story and all the layers to it. 

The extensive research Rose did was obvious in the details and emotional trials. From a lost Dalai Lama and a fragrance that is believed to unlock memories of past lives to an old love and an assassin, the multiple story lines pulled me in and left me completely satisfied when they came crashing together and the end. And the end, oh the end. Without giving anything away I will say that in general terms, under normal circumstances, I don’t like stories that have the kind of ending this one did, but here it was so perfectly fitting that I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. 

 SYNOPSIS:

A sweeping and suspenseful tale of secrets, intrigue, and lovers separated by time, all connected through the mystical qualities of a perfume created in the days of Cleopatra--and lost for 2,000 years.

Jac L'Etoile has always been haunted by the past, her memories infused with the exotic scents that she grew up surrounded by as the heir to a storied French perfume company. In order to flee the pain of those remembrances--and of her mother's suicide--she moved to America. Now, fourteen years later she and her brother have inherited the company along with it's financial problems. But when Robbie hints at an earth-shattering discovery in the family archives and then suddenly goes missing--leaving a dead body in his wake--Jac is plunged into a world she thought she'd left behind.

Back in Paris to investigate her brother's disappearance, Jac becomes haunted by the legend the House of L'Etoile has been espousing since 1799. Is there a scent that can unlock the mystery of reincarnation - or is it just another dream infused perfume?

The Book of Lost Fragrances fuses history, passion, and suspense, moving from Cleopatra's Egypt and the terrors of revolutionary France to Tibet's battle with China and the glamour of modern-day Paris. Jac's quest for the ancient perfume someone is willing to kill for becomes the key to understanding her own troubled past.

Come back Friday, March 23 when I will have a guest post from M.J. Rose!

For more information on the book tour check out:

Link to tour schedule:  http://hfvirtualbooktours.blogspot.com/2012/02/mj-rose-on-tour-for-book-of-lost.html
Twitter Hashtag: #LostFragrancesVirtualBookTour

**Thank you Amy at Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours for providing me with an ARC for review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Talk about that ending! It did shock me a bit but I do understand why it's appropriate. Yet still....