Saturday, December 5, 2009

The White Queen - Philippa Gregory


The White Queen: A Novel (Cousins' War)is the first book in a new series by Philippa Gregory.

I have much love for Philippa Gregory for bringing me The Other Boleyn Girl and introducing me to the Tudors. Although it will be difficult for her to ever write another novel as compelling as The Other Boleyn Girl, I had been impressed with the books following…until her last book The Other Queen. I was barely able to finish the book and if it was any other author I probably wouldn’t have.

With The White Queen, Gregory is clearly back. Although it didn’t grab me the way I expect her books to and it took me a while to become attached to the story, by the end of the book I was yearning for more. I am extremely excited that this is the first book in a series and I am anxiously awaiting more information on the next book.

As with The Other Boleyn Girl, Gregory has introduced me to an entire period of history I was blind to.

**SPOILER ALERT**
I had passed a book a while back about 2 lost princes in the Tower and I remember putting it down because I wasn’t able to understand how anyone could lose 2 princes so I assumed it to be fiction. Gregory has enlightened me.

There were also some amazing passages that touched me. In the 2nd paragraph on page 274, I feel Elizabeth’s emptiness. She has full realized that nobody is coming for her. Edward is dead and she is alone with her kids. Some of the moments were so well written that I felt as if I was standing right there next to Elizabeth experiencing it all with her.
**END OF SPOILERS**

I think the next book is going to be some of her best writing. She has laid the base and the background and now she can get into the drama

I can’t wait!

* I read this book before I started my blog but wrote the review right after finishing it. I wanted to get the review up before the end of the year.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

One of my neighbors loves Gregory's work. She raves about her writing all the time. I really do need to give one of her books a try.