Thursday, February 18, 2010

LOTR Readalong - The Fellowship of the Ring: Middle


Mid-month is here (and passing me by), which means that it is time for a check in with The Fellowship of the Ring. Clare at The Literary Omnivore has posted a few discussion questions and a Mister Linky to post your progress.

I have to admit I am excited to be moving onto the second part of the book. I enjoyed the first part of the book except for Tom Bombadil. My God I just wanted to leave him and his house and the forest behind. I had this feeling the whole time the hobbits were with him that something awful was going to happen but then I realized that Tom was the something awful, you just can't get rid of him. Go away Tom, let us move on already! I almost didn't make it through that part of the book. I think Jenny at Jenny's Books is correct in calling him Tom Horrible Bombadil.

I think I can sum up my basic feelings about the first half of the book like this:

The Shire: fun.
Bree: mysterious and fun.
Aragorn: hot, mysterious and fun.

Dark Riders: Run.
Tom Bombadil: Eat, then run.

Is there really anything else that needs to be said?

4 comments:

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

i'll admit this freely: i've never read the lord of the rings (and didn't see the movie(s?) either. should i read it? i'm hesitant...it looks so boyish! lol.

Jess - A Book Hoarder said...

Nat, I never had too much interest until I saw the end of the 3rd movie. I am definitely glad that I finally forced myself to read the books. So far they are quite enjoyable.

I say, just do it.

Unknown said...

There is a theory that Bombadil is actually Sauron in disguise. I'm sure there's something floating around the net about it.

Jenny said...

Hahaha, this made me laugh. Perfect sum-up of the first half. (Thanks for the shout-out!)