Friday, April 1, 2011

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

If I StayIf I Stay
By Gayle Forman

I have been in a bit of a book slump. I keep starting books and setting them aside to dabble in later and then I never pick them back up again. It’s not that the books I have started haven’t necessarily been good, I just wasn’t in the mood or I couldn’t give it enough time to get into it. Well that is over!

If I Stay has brought my inner bookworm back to life. I opened it a few times before I actually read it, looking at the first line in an unfocused sort of way and then setting it back down. I finally decided that I just needed to get a few pages into it so when I was ready for work with five minutes to spare I decided I would use that time to get past those first few pages. I set it down, left for work, and then anxiously anticipated picking it up again because with just those few pages I could tell it was going to be good. When I got home I sat myself on the couch and didn’t get up until the last page (and that doesn’t happen to me very often).

There is so much I love about this book; the music, the style, the emotions. I went from tearing up one second to laughing the next. The story was so tragic and heartbreaking but at the same time I wanted to be there. I wanted to know Mia and her parents, especially her hilarious parents with their perfect quirky adorableness. I just love this family.

"I did a slinky walk as best as I could in the heels. I expected Adam to go crazy when he saw me, his jeans-and-sweater girlfriend all glammed out. But he smiled his usual greeting, chuckling a bit. ‘Nice costume,’ was all he said.
‘Quid pro quo. Only fair,’ I said, pointing to his Mozart ensamble.
‘I think you look scary, but pretty.’ Teddy said. ‘I’d say sexy too but I’m your brother so that’s gross.’
‘How do you even know what sexy means?’ I asked. ‘You’re six.’
‘Everyone knows what sexy means,’ he said."
-page 97

I am in love with this book and I know there will be more Gayle Forman in my future…soon…seriously I already have another one waiting for me. Don’t be jealous.

**Source: I bought this book with my own sweet loot

1 comment:

Marg said...

I recently heard that the sequel to this was fabulous, so I have added this one to my TBR, given that I have to read series in order!