Saturday, June 25, 2011

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray

Beauty Queens
Beauty Queens
By Libba Bray

Bray has created a book that is equal parts ridiculous, powerful, and relevant.  It is a must read, and a hilarious one.  I have every belief that the teens who love this book will grow up to love Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. 

This is not a book written in the hand of Laurie Halse Anderson but it deserves equal space and (and love) on a teen bookshelf.  Did I think that Bray went over the top? At times, but how could I not love a book with footnotes that referenced other authors and every ridiculous reality show.  A book with commercial breaks for absurd (and often real) beauty products.  Did I roll my eyes, look at my husband and ask "Is this sentence the most over-killed metaphor you have ever heard?" OMG, I like so totally did!

Beauty Queens will make you think about the world.  It will make you question the things that are and should be important to you.  My favorite part of the book was the epilogue.  Let's just say I was literally dancing to the beat and it wrapped up the whole feel of the book beautifully. 

Check out this interview, Libba Bray is interviewed by...Libba Bray.  BUT don't read the comments because there is a huge spoiler (yes I read it before I finished the book...shoot). 

**Source: Amazon Vine

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I very much enjoyed reading this book. I have always loved her wittiness and hilarious humor. Over the top = yes sometimes, but oh so much fun. And the footnotes had me laughing so hard!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've seen this book around but never tried to find out what it's about. Sounds unique and the fact that you've linked it to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert is making me look at it in a whole new different light.