Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lost in Shangri-La - Mitchell Zuckoff

Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II
Lost in Shangri-La
By Mitchell Zuckoff

It didn't take me long to realize that not only was I going to enjoy this book but I knew someone else who would love it.  My step-dad can't get enough of these kinds of true stories.  I debated surprising him with it for his birthday but I was too excited to wait and told him about it while I was at the house for dinner.  He walked over to his favorite chair and picked up his own copy from the table next to it.  I guess I can say I know the type of books he likes!  And yes, he was enjoying it as much as I knew he would.

Lost in Shangri-La was truly a fascinating adventure.  I read it at work because I thought it would be safe as a tear-free read (once I got past the plane crash of course) but I found myself getting misty at the end as well. While reading the epilogue, I was truly sad to be coming to the end.  I was going to miss the people and their personalities. 

The story is about the 1945 crash of a military plane taking a recreation flight over a mysterious valley.  Zuckoff did a fantastic job bringing in the history of "Shangri-La" as well as a look at the people living there.  He wrote a story which gave the whole picture of what it must have been like to crash in such an unknown place.  I felt a connection to the survivors of the crash but I also felt connected to some of the natives they came into contact with. 

I loved reading about the way the survivors and natives were able to communicate without a common language. The relationships they built were fascinating to me.  From start to finish I was enthralled with the story, knowing that they must make it out alive but wondering exactly how they would pull it off and wondering how their presence would affect the lives of the natives.  I was fully entertained and my curiosity was satisfied. 

**Source: ARC from publisher

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I think I would enjoy this one as well. Thanks for writing such an interesting review Jess.