Thursday, January 8, 2015

Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry


You know how they say to order things at a restaurant that your wouldn't/can't make at home? Well for me, that's chicken. I hate cooking chicken. Everything from buying it at the store to preparing it and then making the final judgement that it is cooked enough not to kill you. I've been known to take a breast from the grill and microwave it for good measure. When cooking at home, I take my chicken dry and my veggies al-dente.

The counter completely scares me after chicken has been prepared on it and don't even get me started on the sink. Needless to say, I rarely cook chicken. I'd much rather go vegetarian than deal with the stress. But it's a new year and I have new diet requirements. It's time to put my big girl panties on.


So, let's get cooking. Firstly, I got my rice all cooked up. Once it was to the sit-for-ten-minutes stage I threw some garlic oil in a pan. Seriously, garlic olive oil is my homie.

Cut the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, put them in hot oil on med-high heat and quickly clean up all the nasty chicken cutting-board and knife. Place board in dishwasher scald knife, sanitize counter, wash hands, sanitize counter, and wash hands once more.

Cook them on the highest heat you can without splattering.

Cut onion and broccoli.

When chicken is fully browned, add onion. Cook until onion is golden and chicken is fully cooked. Add broccoli. At this point I decided to add a few mushrooms too.

There are two types of people in this world: those who wash their mushrooms and those who wipe them off. I am a wiper, my mom is a washer. Now, technically speaking, the washers are...well...wrong. Sorry washers. But they grow on POOP, you washers are saying. I know, I know. My theory is that if they gross you out that much do you really think a little water is really going to help? How is it I manage to be a wiper and can't handle cooking chicken? I'm a complex person. You washers will be getting no judgement from me, just keep in mind that there is going to be a little more water in the pan to cook out.

So, this is where I got really excited because I was about to add my newly purchased gluten-free teriyaki sauce. I seriously thought I would never be able to have teriyaki again. SO EXCITED! Happy dance.


Side note: this is shockingly close to what my actual happy dance looks like. I'm not embarrassed. I rock that shit.

Ok, saute. Now that all your ingredients are in your pan, cook them up all nice. This didn't take very long for me. A few minutes and a good stir to coat everything. I did add a splash of water to give the broccoli some steam without over-saucing. Shut up Washers, I don't want to hear it.

Chicken and Broccoli stir-Fry
gluten-free, dairy-free

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut to bite-size pieces)
1 small onion
1 head broccoli (I used broccolettes)
5 Baby Bellas (or other mushroom)
4 Tbsp Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce
pinch of sesame seeds

1. Heat oil over med/high heat
2. Add chicken and brown
3. Add diced onion
4. When chicken is fully cooked, add broccoli, mushroom, and teriyaki. Add a splash of water if needed to soften broccoli
5. Place over rice and finish with sesame seeds

2 servings steamed rice

My recommendation for cooking rice:
Take 3/4 C white rice, rinse until water is clear (usually 2-3 times), add 1.5 C water, cover, bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes, let sit 10 minutes. DON'T remove lid until ready to serve.

No comments: