Friday, January 14, 2011

Radiance - Alyson Noel

Radiance
Radiance
By Alyson Noel

This is the first book I have read by Alyson Noel and I think I would have appreciated it more if that hadn't been the case. Although I am curious enough to want to read The Immortals Series (of which this book is a spin-off), it just didn't seem like anything really happened. Riley dies and goes to Here, where she learns a bit about what she is going to do Now. Well, she doesn't so much find out what she is going to do as she wanders aimlessly and confused with no one to help her until, at last, she is given an assignment.

The assignment was interesting but I kept feeling that there could have been more. I think my problem connecting with Riley was that she was written for such a young audience (9-12) but even with that being the case I feel there could have been more going on. Riley kept presuming things about her situation that were completely wrong (for example: the intentions of people around her) and some of this I thought was just too obvious.

The thing that Radiance did well was to build a strong foundation for the next book to stand on (again I think I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't the first book I read by Noel because I would have had that background connection) and since the ARE included an excerpt from Book 2 I was able to see that it looks like it is going to be a much more exciting story. I think there is a good chance it will make everything Radiance laid out worth the read.

**Source: ARE from publisher

2 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I haven't read any of the Alyson Noel ones yet. Sorry this one didn't work for you.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love to meet other bloggers.

Meg @ write meg! said...

I read Evermore, Noel's first book in this series, and pretty much thought it was a cheap (and not good!) knock-off of Twilight! Riley was the most interesting character in the story, so I'm sort of interested in reading Radiance... but I'm worried it will leave me with the same bad taste in my mouth!