Thursday, November 10, 2011

33 Days - Bill See




33 Days: Touring In A Van, Sleeping On Floors, Chasing A Dream
By Bill See

In 1987, Bill See and his band Divine Weeks set out on a 33 day tour. The book follows the band, showing their ups and downs while also giving a bit of their history through flashbacks. It was interesting to see the different circumstances each person came from and the way music brought them together. The time jumps in the flashbacks didn’t always flow well but they did portray the way our minds wander while serving the purpose of telling the back-story.

I loved seeing the other side of a tour when they have to get out there and play because they love the music so much. See gave great insight and started off really strong. I connected with his story right away but it did slow around the middle of the book. It became a bit repetitive and at times seemed too cliché but I reconnected with it towards the end.

I think I would have connected even more with the story if I was a bit older and actually aware of music while this was all happening but I was still able to relate it to my experiences at shows and the music I love and that was the best part of the story for me.

If  you are curious about the music of Divine Weeks, check out Bill's website.

**Source: from author for review

No comments: