Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson




A Walk in the Woods (audiobook)
By Bill Bryson

A walk in the Woods is about simple that, a walk in the woods. Bill Bryson and his friend Stephen Katz take a long…very long…walk on the Appalachian Trail. While Bryson recounts his preparation for his long walk as well as the walk itself, he also scatters facts that are both fun and freaky throughout the story. Facts that will make you want to hop on the AT bandwagon and at the same time run screaming.

I took listening to this book as a long and slow process and I loved that about it. I dabbled in it while I cleaned and trudged along with him on my longer drives and let me tell you, I was fully entertained the entire time. I was constantly pausing it and turning to my husband with an “oh my God you have to hear this” story.

Listening to an audiobook narrated by the author can be a very hit or miss thing but I am happy to say that Bill Bryson stepped up. He had a remarkable way of bringing the characters to life, probably because he not only wrote them but actually knew them. I loved Katz and all his faults. He brought the story to life and also made it relatable. This is definitely a story that I would recommend listening to when you really need to get a taste of nature.

**Source: courtesy of my lovely local library

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I like Bryson and this one was very good IMO --my favorite was Life and Times By the Thunderbolt Kid.

Jenny said...

I think Bill Bryson is an author I'd enjoy more in fits and starts (like on audio in a car) than all in one go, which is how I've read him up to now. Interesting how some authors are like that!