Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Caving to RIP IX


I haven't done a challenge in a long time...like years. But I decided that my favorite holiday was a good time to jump back into them. I love picking out books for Halloween (in fact I have a special shelf just for them) and I delayed signing up for this challenge because of my total inability to finish a single Halloween book last year. But today I am making the leap. Maybe it is the excitement of a cool cloudy day, maybe it is the pumpkin candle I am burning or the delicious soup I'm having for dinner but I'm all in for this Halloween awesomeness. 

So here's the deal:

Readers Imbibing Peril runs from September 1 - October 31 and you basically just pick books that you think fit into the creepy, mysterious, delightfully horrible theme, have some fun reading them and then link your posts to the review site which is put on by Carl from Stainless Steel Droppings

The good thing is that Carl has given us options. The bad thing is that some of those can overlap so I am partaking in multiple parts of the challenge...and a readalong. 

Peril the First means I will be reading four books for the challenge. I have put together the following list to chose from. 

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Dark Souls by Paula Morris
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero
Peril on the Screen....because I would be doing this anyway. At the very least I will be watching my annual favorites: Hocus Pocus and The Nightmare Before Christmas.



I have wanted to read The Haunting of Hill House for a long time and have already started it in anticipation. 

Lastly, can we just take a moment and appreciate the beautiful banners created for this challenge. The artist is Abigail Larson and after visiting her shop I want to spend lots of money on things like this and this. Oh hey and this

Well, I'm already behind on this month so I better get reading. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually wrote one of the other books in your list, but I'd be a terrible person if I encouraged you to choose anything over Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. I hold it as one of the greatest things ever done with the English language. Enjoy it.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Good luck with RIP! I'm not joining officially, but I have a few scary books on my pile for October.

Leila @ Readers' Oasis said...

I joined RIP for the first time . . . just The Haunting of Hill House readalong! Looking forward to it--I've never read it, so this is a good opportunity. It's a little out of my comfort zone, but it's good to try a new direction sometimes. Hope you enjoy your creepy seasonal reading.

Jenny @ Reading the End said...

Woohoo! I am hoping to read that book Horrorstor for this one -- it looks wonderfully creepy and fun. RIP is the best challenge.