Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Book of Tomorrow - Cecelia Ahern

The Book of Tomorrow: A Novel
The Book of Tomorrow
By Cecelia Ahern

The Book of Tomorrow is about a diary which reveals the entry that is going to be written tomorrow. It ends up in the hands of Tamara after her dad dies and she has to move, with her mom, to her aunt and uncle's house. Although her Aunt Rosaleen has an extremely eerie way about her (Tamara appropriately nicknamed her aunt and uncle the Deliverance Duo) a deeper mystery unfolds and Tamara does what she can to get to the bottom of it.

This book left me with mixed feelings. The thing that struck me from the moment I picked it was surprise that it was listed as adult fiction and not YA and I know other people have also commented on the same thing. Tamara was a teenager with some typical smart-ass teen remarks. At times they were entertaining and almost charming but they began to get annoying and overdone. I had the same problem with the repetitive phrases that she was continuously pointing out. They were, at first, funny and added to her personality but I eventually just got sick of reading them.

The book had a bit of a slow pace throughout and then everything just exploded at the end but throughout the story I fully enjoyed Sister Ignatius. She had the best personality and I just wanted to be her friend. Sister Ignatius's hilarious personality was a perfect contrast to the eeriness that hung over the rest of the story and both kept me curious to find out how everything would end. I would have to say, overall, it was good, not great.

**Source: Publisher

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I hope to get to this one soon; it seems to be getting mixed reviews. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

i recently read another review on this one and that blogger penned similar thoughts on the whole adult vs. YA fiction thing. based on the cover alone, i thought this one was YA. i am not convinced this one is for me, but ahern is an author i'm interested in reading.