Monday, February 28, 2011

The Fates Will Find Their Way - Hannah Pittard

The Fates Will Find Their Way: A Novel
The Fates Will Find Their Way
By Hannah Pittard

I just realized that I never posted my review of The Fates Will Find Their Way.  I finished it weeks ago and wrote my review immediately but somehow (I blame it on the fact that I started a new job so my routines are all out of whack) it never made it to posting.  It was a great book and I actually want to go back and read it again after rereading my review because I remember different things I loved about it.  


The Fates Will Find Their Way is about the disappearance of a girl named Nora and how it affects a group of boys who knew her, as well as their lives years later. They are so tied to what may or may not have happened to Nora that they imagine different scenarios which could have happened on the night Nora went missing. All the scenarios are so real you forget you are reading about their hopes and fears.

The story itself is so tragically real. It is what I think would happen to the friends of a teen who goes missing. They would imagine the worst case scenario but also imagine the things she could be doing if she were alive after that night. The boys ponder various stories which always lead to the loss of her and they allow their hope to leave them grasping at straws. They live for the unknown, for the possibility that she may be alive and happy or even alive and regretting leaving (if she left by choice).

This book was like an adult, male version of a Judy Blume story. If you took Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret and extended it through the adult years and then made it about boys instead of Margaret you would have The Fates Will Find Their Way. This is a story that makes you look at what you are focused on in your own life as you read about what the boys begin to learn about themselves.

I loved the entire story but something more specific that I can’t not mention is that I LOVED the ever-present phone tree.

**Source: ARC from publisher

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Nice review Jess! I do have this one in my stacks to read.

Lisa said...

Sounds like one I need to add to the wish list!