Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Official Book Club Selection - Kathy Griffin (audiobook)

Let me start off by saying that I love Kathy Griffin. I never really paid attention to her until a couple years ago. I just happened to catch one of her acts and I have been hooked ever since.

I listened to the audiobook of Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin in the car to and from D.C. When I first turned it on, I have to admit I had my doubts. When you listen to someone do stand-up comedy, it is an interesting adjustment to hear them clearly reading something instead of doing an act from memory. However, by the second chapter, I think Kathy and I had found our groove.

It was really interesting to find out a bit about her family (she had brother in prison), as well as her divorce (I didn't even know she had been married). I also love to hear about how she really is around the famous people she talks all the crap about. Some of them seem to take it really well (Jerry Seinfeld) while others ban her from their shows. She also talks a bit about how her comedy as well as her show (My Life on the D List) have cost her some friendships.

Like I said before, I love Kathy. Sure, sometimes she goes too far, but I appreciate how real she is. She says what she feels and talks about what she sees, and she does it in a way that is hilarious. Her comedy is definitely not something that can be enjoyed by everyone, but if you are someone who can handle how vulgar and in your face Kathy is, I would absolutely recommend you pick up this book. I recommend her audiobook because Kathy is meant to be listened to, not read.


**Side-note about iTunes audiobooks:
I downloaded this audiobook from iTunes but I think it will be the only time I use their audiobooks. The entire book downloaded as one set/song so I couldn't just stop, listen to some music and skip to a specific chapter. This may not seem that bad but it seriously annoyed me. I don't know if Amazon audiobooks download the same way but I may have to stick with good ol' CDs because I really like to have some sort of idea what spot of the book I am in. Just something to keep in mind when downloading audiobooks.

Do you have any experience with Amazon/Barnes and Noble audiobook downloads?

No comments: