Friday, November 13, 2009

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. - Judy Blume


Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. by Judy Blume, is the first book I have read for the Shelf Discovery Challenge and I absolutely LOVED it.

How is it that I am 25 and just now reading this for the first time? This story had so many similarities with my life at that age and it was so wonderfully written that I felt like I was my version of Margaret.

Margaret is trying to decide if she believes in God while at the same time begging him to let her “get it” (“it” being her period). She has the same kind of friends I had at that age, the group with a leader. In Margaret’s case the leader of her friends was Nancy. Margaret also has to deal with her parents and trying to get them to understand the new parts of her life, like how important is it that she doesn’t wear socks on the first day of school.

There is a quote on page 64 that I could totally relate to:

“During this time I talked to Nancy every night. My father wanted to know why we had to phone each other so often when we were together in school all day.”


My dad was constantly talking to my mom about how there was something wrong with me because I was on the phone with my friends the moment I got home from school.

Even though I truly wish I had read this book in 6th grade, I wonder if I would have appreciated it as much then. I know I would have felt an intense connection with the story, but I don’t know if I would have realized all the similarities at the time. Would I have loved it just because it felt familiar? I will never know but I am glad I finally read it. Now I am going to have to read more Judy Blume.

Check out the Shelf Discovery Challenge to read reviews from other bloggers.

I am an Amazon Associate.

4 comments:

Michelle G. said...

I have added your blog to my list of "Other Book-Bloggers" on my blog. I hope that's ok with you! Thanks- Michelle G.
http://thenext100books.blogspot.com/

Julie P. said...

I just read it a few days ago, and I loved it. It was a re-read for me but I don't think I took away the same things as an adult as I did at 12 years old. I think that's the beauty of Shelf Discovery!

Astrid (Mrs.B) said...

Oh, I loved this when I was about 12 and loved it. Judy Blume is wonderful for adolescents. Another one I really recommend of hers is Then Again Maybe I Wont. I think that one was my favourite.

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

this book was all the rage when i was in 4th or 5th grade--waaaay back in 1984 or '85--and it was the original version of the book where judy blume referenced the old fashioned style of feminine products, involving some type of belt! none of us knew what she was talking about! it's a classic read and after that one, i moved on to tiger eyes and forever--a SCANDALOUS read for my 6th grade self. :) have you read those??