Monday, November 2, 2009

Women Unbound - Start of Challenge Meme


1. What does feminism mean to you? Does it have to do with the work sphere? The social sphere? How you dress? How you act?

2. Do you consider yourself a feminist? Why or why not?

3. What do you consider the biggest obstacle women face in the world today? Has that obstacle changed over time, or does it basically remain the same?


It is difficult to describe what feminism means to me. It is a feeling, an understanding that women can do anything. We have a right to feel safe and comfortable with who we are and what we choose to do with our lives. To me, feminism is about...well, everything. It is about women having the right to choose to work inside or outside the home and to have the means to do that equally. It means that women can dress in a way that makes them feel comfortable - whether that means flip flops or heels. It is about girls knowing that smart is sexy so they don't feel like they have to dumb themselves down in order to seem cute or funny or attainable.


I consider myself a feminist but I don't think I fall under only that label. I think that labels are a huge obstacle that women...that all people face. It is too easy to label someone, to look at them and put them in a little stereotypical box. It is awful that women do this to other women so often. Everyone has the right to make their own name, to define who they are without others doing it for them.

1 comment:

Aarti said...

You're really spot on. The word "feminist" does seem to have a really negative connotation, and no one seems to want that label. Instead, they kind of shy away from it and say, "Well, I don't think I'm a feminist but I want equal rights for women," which, generally, is what most women want...