Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Lost Lake - Sarah Addison Allen

Lost Lake
by Sarah Addison Allen

 Welcome Spring. I feel as though every one of Sarah's books (I feel as though we are on a first name basis by now) set me up to dance into a beautiful Spring. They have a history of being light and airy with a touch of magic and I am always happy while I am living inside them. Lost Lake was no different. The characters were all so wonderfully unique and developed to perfection. I want to visit Lost Lake, I want to stay.

My book is marked with tabs and I had plans to quote one or two here but as I read them over I find that they fall a bit flat out of context. I didn't mark them for the wonderful sentence structure, I marked them because they had the ability to evoke so much emotion in the moment for me. So you will just have to read it to see what I mean.

I will include one because, as a book lover, this one really made me think.

"She had laughed and said, 'I've read them all. I want to remember them the way they were. If I read them now, the endings will have changed.'"

**Spoiler-ish things ahead...

I can't talk about this book without talking about the end of the book and while I won't say exactly what happens I have to say what I felt about what I thought was going to happen in relation to what actually did. I got about halfway through the book and thought I knew exactly how it was going to end. This wasn't exactly a bad thing and I came to terms with it pretty quickly. I mean I was looking forward to a happy ending and all so I would have been disappointed if it hadn't ended all neat an pretty. But as I'm reading I'm contemplating some upcoming twists or surprises knowing that Sarah had something aside from a straight line to the finish for me. And I got a little mixture. And then I got to page 289 and read this:

"Sometimes, the best endings are the ones that surprise you. 
Sometimes, the best are the ones that have everything happening exactly how you want it to happen. But the absolute perfect endings are when you get a little of both."

Well played Sarah Addison Allen, well played.

**purchased from a local bookstore

1 comment:

Marg said...

Love that final quote about endings!