Monday, December 26, 2011

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor



Daughter of Smoke and Bone
By Laini Taylor

I originally picked up this book after reading a raving review by Stephanie D at Misfit Salon and now I am convinced I have to listen to everything she says. This book rocked!!

I read it a couple months ago and even went to a book signing (which I posted about here), but I slacked on writing my review. Since it is now the last week of the year I will tell you that this was one of, and possibly the single best book I have read this year (I actually think I am going to post a “best of” list in a couple days).

Daughter of Smoke and Bone has everything. It is set in Prague with a badass, artistic girl named Karou who has blue hair. It is hilarious! I really want to quote page 22 but you should just read it in context to fully appreciate it. Let’s just say “inessential penises” are both freaking hilarious and a life lesson.

The story is also full of beauty, from the unlikely relationships between the characters to the prose. I am as far from being an artist as one can get but this book, with its fantastic descriptions, made me want to draw everything I was visualizing.

Read it!

**Source: I bought this with my own sweet loot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one made my top 2011 reads as well; in fact I have it as the best YA of this year.

I hope that I always steer you right, Jess!