Friday, January 8, 2010

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman


Neverwhere
By Neil Gaiman

This is the first book I have read by Gaiman. I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I opened it. I had heard such great things about him but for some reason I still wasn’t convinced he was going to fall short of my expectations.

Boy was I ever surprised. I loved this book. The story was fantastic and the characters were lovable (even as I hated some). Door was adorable and I even loved bad Mr. Vandenmar. I was literally laughing out loud at almost everything Mr. Vandemar said…

“What,” asked Mr. Croup, “do you want?”
“What,” asked the marquis de Carabas, a little more rhetorically, “does anyone want?”
“Dead things,” suggested Mr. Vandemar. “Extra teeth.”
-page 205

I bought this book because I wanted to give it to my step-brother for Christmas but I wanted to have read it myself first. A few chapters in, I decided this wasn’t the present I was looking for and went with a different book but before I even finished Neverwhere I was second guessing my decision. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t have fallen in love with this story the way I did.

Gaiman created a world that was exciting, captivating, and even frightening but he also gave me something to think about. He took reality and shifted it so I now see a story in the shadows. I want to go to London and read this book there. I want to read this book on the Underground. I can’t wait to read more from Gaiman.

**Source: Bought before I spent all my money on Christmas.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I read Gaiman's Fragile Things last year and was so ambivalent about it. Maybe I should try this one.

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

i keep reading about gaiman all over the blogs but have yet to try one of his novels. people really rave about him so maybe i should give him a whirl!