Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan


The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
By Rick Riordan

This is the second book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I went into this book with some reservations after reading The Lightening Thief. I had a few issues that kept bothering me, and although they did still pop-up in this book, I am happy to say that I did enjoy it more than the first book in the series. I had issues with the first book because I didn’t feel very connected with the characters. With this second book, I did care a bit more about what happened to Percy, Annabeth, and Grover, but still not as much as I would expect.

Riordan made up for his flimsy main characters by throwing some new characters that I really enjoyed. I was surprised that 2 snakes (snakes are my biggest fear on earth) who made a short appearance were a couple of my favorite characters. They were hilarious and I was impressed with how real Riordan could make 2 talking snakes seem, especially since their talking wasn’t done aloud. Tyson was also extremely entertaining and I felt instantly protective of him and entertained by him at the same time. I love his simple way of doing things that make me laugh and totally understand him:

"But when the fire died, Tyson was standing there, completely unharmed. Not even his grungy clothes were scorched. The bull must've been as surprised as I am, because before it could unleash a second blast, Tyson balled his fists and slammed them into the bull's face. "BAD COW!"

The story in this second book is definitely moving along and I am enjoying it, but I have to keep reminding myself that it was written for a younger audience. I am constantly annoyed that Percy is so slow at putting things together and figuring out something that seems fairly obvious. Other than that I am really enjoying the series. Book 2 had definite improvement on the character development overall. On to the next.

**Source: I bought this with my ever dwindling Christmas $$

No comments: